STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM AND APPLICATION
The 2021 AAFV Scholarship is now closed, stay posted for information about 2022!
AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF FISH VETERINARIANS STUDENT SCHOLARSHIPS
Eligibility for Scholarships:
- AAFV Student Member, including those enrolled in graduate school, internships and residencies
- AAFV Member not more than 1 year after graduation
- Previous recipients are not eligible
- Recipients must also submit a written report about their experience to the AAFV Student Scholarship Committee within one month of completion of their experience.
A Complete Application Consists of:
- A completed scholarship application form
- Resume/curriculum vitae
- Two references, preferably from faculty, submitted directly from the reference to Dr. Lester Khoo at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for AAFV Scholarship Application Form
Selection Criteria Includes:
- Involvement in fish related activities within and outside of veterinary school
- Value of proposed activity to increase participant’s experience and awareness in fish medicine
- Demonstrated potential for future contributions in fish and aquatic veterinary medicine
- References’ evaluation of personal character, reliability and dedication to the field
- Demonstrated need for financial support
Deadlines and Submission:
The Scholarship Committee will make an effort to evaluate all applications in four to six weeks after the closing date. All application materials must be submitted to Dr. Lester Khoo at email@example.com by this date. Only complete applications received by the deadline will be considered.
Student scholarship recipients and reports
2020 Student Scholarship Recipients
The following students have been selected to receive an AAFV Student Scholarship:
Allison Murawski - Shedd Aquarium and SeaWorld Orlando Report
Pamela Betancourt - University of Florida - Class of 2022
She intends to use the scholarship for externships at the Vancouver Aquarium and the University of Florida Tropical Aquaculture Laboratory.
Jasmine Gross – Virginia Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine - Class of 2021
She intends to use the scholarship for externship at the Skidaway Institute of Oceanography where she will be assisting research in black gill disease in shrimp populations and zooplankton nutrition.
Michelle Greenfield – Cornell University - Class of 2023
She intends to use the scholarship for attending AQUAVET®I 2021
Vivian Lee – Cornell University - Class of 2024
She intends to use the scholarship to attend AQUAVET®I 2021 and also attend the virtual AAFV conference in October.
Student Scholarship Reports
Michelle Barnett - AQUAVET I Report
Elizabeth St. Germaine - AQUAVET III Report
Jaclyn Wilson - AQUAVET II Report
Chelsea Hester - AQUAVET II Report
Josh Zlotnick - AQUAVET I Report
Katherine Weber - AQUAVET I Report
Courtney Wright - Aquaculture Experience Report
Sierra Imanse - Eastern Fish Health Workshop, University of Florida Tropical Aquaculture Lab, and Vancouver Aquarium Report
Ashley Kirby - University of Florida Tropical Aquaculture Lab Fish Disease Diagnostic Lab Report
Emily Munday - AquaVet Program, The Fish Vet Group, Pacific Aquaculture, and Washington Dept of Fish and Wildlife Report
Nicole Nietisbach - Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission, Seattle Aquarium and Washington Dept of Health Report
Erike Brigante - Mississippi State University Aquatic Diagnostic and Research Lab Report